How to use Microsoft word to easily produce a table of contents.
- Click on the home tab in the top tool bar->
- Click on the diagonal arrow at the right-hand side of the styles tab->
- Mouse over heading 1->
- Click the small arrow that appears to the right->
- Click modify->
- Adjust the heading format to your liking (Arial and New Times Roman are usually the most widely accepted fonts)->
- Check the automatically update box->
- Click ok.
Repeat for any other subjects/titles you want to appear in the table of contents.
*To use the formatting modifications highlight the text you want to change and click the style you want to use.
Adding the contents table
- Use ctrl+enter to make a new page, make sure you are at the end of your text when you perform this task.
- Place your cursor on the new page->
- Click on the reference tab->
- Click on the table of contents icon under the table of contacts tab-> -+
Pick a table with a suitable layout and click on it.
Voila, one table of contents